Friday 27 March 2009

back home

Well that was a week and a half, after work was over I looked at a couple of replacement vans - a lot of time lost on vehicles that were rubbish really and the owners, including one supposedly respected dealer, were trying to hide evidence that meant major rebuilds were needed. It can't be morally sound to let some one head off on a 1700 km journey in a van that has a blown head gasket so overheats and has such a high oil pressure that hoses blow off and gaskets weep after a 10 mile drive can it ? It was really lovely to pop in and see Jackie in London - what a lovely haven you have in the midst of all that turmoil Jackie, it was like stepping into another world.

I managed to be ill on the train to Penzance and on and off for a few days after but it was really good to spend a few days with Kate and Luke and catch up with some other friends too. I managed to buy a new delica but am still debating whether it was a good buy or not; there are a few faults I am not pleased with. I am back home now after a long drive down from Roscoff 1600kms pretty much non stop took from 8 am - 4.30 am it was really useful mulling things through time and made me think that at work it can be really helpful to take a day just to sit and think - I have sketched out two new papers, designed a new academic blog all in my head at the moment but without that long thinking time I would not have got anywhere near the depth of thought needed to visualise a way forward on all three fronts. I couldn't get to sleep very well after or the next night either but I am back into a better pattern now. It is lovely to be here in warm sunny galicia again although rain is on the way for the weekend I think. While I have been away Callum has been doing scary faces...
Lorena has settled in well


People have been wearing my new hat :-)

Working from home really does seem more effective to me, I can focus on my tasks deeply and no time is lost moving about in a huge workplace...talking of which I had better get back to work really.

No comments: