Monday 8 September 2008

More kayaking and some fungi

Kayaking

Yesterday we found a really easy place to launch kayaks at the quiet end of Praia Magdelina at Cedeira, you can drive onto the beach and unload next to the water and explore some safe water or paddle round to the beautiful beaches and esturies at Villarube or head out to between the gap in the distant hills and into the open sea.

Fungi
On the edible fungi front so far we have found some lovely chantrelles larger and tastier than anything I ever found in the UK , lots of boletus, although I am only confident at identifying a few boletus variaties so we have not eaten may yet. Just over the road from our house the pine trees have no shortage of Sparassis Crispa. This is a fungi I had never tasted but is now a firm favourite; I cooked some last night by gently frying in butter - it has a distinct and delicious nutty flavour, As far as I am aware ther are no poisonous fungi that look anything like it so it seems a fairly safe find. The photo is of a fairly young one (now consumed) but they can grow up to be many kilos.

2 comments:

Mits said...

I am startled to know that fungi is one among edible foods!

===================================
vinny
look4ward

Ian said...

It is a weird looking one for sure something between a natural sponge and a cauliflower. I was a bit uncertain before taking my first bite but it was a really pleasant surprise. I always check http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/ before tasting anything new.