Friday 3 October 2008

Oops and a shower

Our progress towards fluency in Castillian is progressing slowly and in Galego is not progressing at all although our friend's neighbors were impressed recently with my two Galician words 'que chove' - what rain..not very useful as we have not really had any rain until this morning. They were equally impressed with my stringing together of a whole sentence about how long we have lived here and where we lived. Hablas Castillian perfecto they said. Spurred on by this I hastened to try and tell them I only know a few words really and my marido is also just starting to learn. They didn't flinch and talked about Galicia being the best place in the world to live, meanwhile a creeping doubt settled over me and I tried out marido and esposa tgether and they confirmed esposa was for mujeres and marido for padres ..with a glint in their eye mentioned being very liberal in Valdovino and wondered if my two boys were adopted. Oh dear me that was not the first time I have mentioned my marido, ah well I won't be making that mistake again.

We had a touch of damp yesterday and a 30 second shower at about 5 am this morning - the third time it has rained since 14 Aug. The statistics show there should be more rain out here thatn there is in Cornwall, given the consistent rain all Summer in Cornwall this year we are begining to doubt that is possible but we are awaiting some sort of monsoon to make up for all the sunshine.

2 comments:

pericles said...

How's Jenny finding the move - and has Callum gone to school yet!

Ian said...

We took Callum and Rowan down to the school today only to find we need to take some paperwork back to the Junta in the big city of Ferrol to have it stamped before they can start. Rowan is looking forward to it but Callum is still determined not to go. We have been mailing CCC asking for support re teaching the boys at home since July and CCC have been forwarding my requests to Children, Young People and Families Services, the Elective Home Education office but we have had no response yet - no wonder so many children get lost from the education system in the UK.